Search This Blog

Thursday, March 25, 2010

Someone. Is. Eating. This. Baby. Food.


(The first pic is cauliflower puree on a cracker, the second is pumpkin/chicken tossed with whole wheat noodles)

So once again I went a little nuts making baby food. Steam, roast, puree, freeze in ice cube trays, repeat. I ended up with a freezer full of cubes in Zip Loc bags and a baby who doesn't like baby food. In theory, I don't mind this. We started solids past six months which is a little old for purees, I understand. Finger foods are more fun for everyone. However, I am not wasting this bounty of fruits and vegetables.
Mia's going to eat it. One way or another. The rest of us are helping too.
I have come up with a few successful ways to use these purees. Some ways I developed when Laney gave up purees, other recipes I have developed lately.

Pasta with vegetable puree-
This works great with every savory puree. So far we've had luck mixing whole wheat (petite) noodles with chicken/pumpkin, cauliflower and broccoli. Sometimes I add a bit of butter and cheese and usually some defrosted peas.

Cracker or toast topper
Always a hit with Laney, I spread any sort of puree (green bean, squash, pear) over crackers or toast like spread cheese. Laney will still eat this. Mike, not so much.

Cream of what-have-you soup
We all enjoy this. I used asparagus last week.

Diced onion
Garlic cloves
diced celery
Saute this stuff in butter or olive oil.

Add in ingredient of choice. I had a bunch of fresh asparagus and probably a dozen cubes of asparagus puree. I imagine broc, cauliflower, squash would all work.

Add in a cup or so of vegetable broth. Simmer for a few minutes. Blend with an immersion blender.

Lower heat, add in a cup of half-and-half or heavy cream (or whole milk, I guess) and pepper it like crazy.

That's a really good soup.

Smoothies, of course

Frozen fruit cubes with fresh fruit and yogurt, blended

I did this with mango/broc cubes and you couldn't taste the broccoli. It wasn't that attractive though.

If anyone else has any ideas, please post in comments. My freezer is still full.




No comments: