Search This Blog

Monday, March 15, 2010

Basic Stir Fry






Here's one of those healthy recipes I promised. Stir fry is my go-to when Mike and I feel like we've eaten out too much and it's especially light with shrimp. Also works with chicken, pork and beef.

I use a wok but you could probably use a deep skillet. My mom used a wok all the time when I was a kid so I feel familiar with it, but I understand they look scary. I highly suggest getting one if you don't already have one. My mom would make stir fry, egg rolls, and even donuts in her wok. Hmmm. Maybe she should teach me how to make those donuts.

Ok, so take whatever veg you have and cut it up before you start. Actually, do everything before you start because you have to move fast with stir fry. Or open a bag of frozen veg. Defrost it first. I like broc, carrots, onion, sugar snap peas, red pepper and water chestnuts. But I use whatever I have.

Here's a good sauce:
2 cloves minced garlic
2 inches grated ginger
3 tbps soy sauce
1/2 tbsp mirin
1 tbsp fish sauce
1 tbsp hoisin
2 tsp honey

a squirt of a red curry or hot sauce is good if you don't have tots. I love sriracha sauce but it is very bad news if you're breastfeeding, fyi.

First, start the rice. I like long grain brown rice--it takes 45 minutes. Stick an inch of ginger in the pot to fancy it up. Then throw some oil in the wok and put it at med-low heat. Grapeseed, peanut of vegetable oil. Throw in the carrots, onion and meat (chicken, pork or beef.) Then the rest of the veg. Shrimp towards the end. Sauce it up as you go. Toss some almonds or peanuts on top to serve! This is a very easy dish and super-quick if you use Minute Rice.

**Mia is too young for seafood so I reserved some vegetables and steamed them separately, without the sauce.

No comments: